Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Pear Cobbler

I will let this photo, taken approximately 3 hours after the cobbler came out of the oven, speak for the utter deliciousness of this dessert.


And I will boldly state this opinion:  this is the perfect cobbler recipe, completely interchangeable with other fruits.

Use pears that are really ripe for best results.

I did manage to wrangle this plate out of my husband's hand and snap a picture.


He was standing right next to my elbow, whimpering and salivating, begging for me to return the plate to him.

A sign of a good dessert to be sure!

The trick to the perfection of the cobbler is SELF-RISING FLOUR.

This recipe is adapted from my culinary hero's recipe for blackberry cobbler (The Pioneer Woman).

Pear Cobbler
1 stick butter
1-¼ cup sugar, divided
1 cup self-rising flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup milk
2 medium pears, peeled, cored and sliced lengthwise (interchange with other fruits)

Melt butter in a microwavable dish. Pour 1 cup of the sugar, the flour and the cinnamon into a mixing bowl, whisking in milk. Mix well. Then, pour in melted butter and whisk it all together well. Butter a baking dish. (I suggest using a 9 x 9 baking dish for a thicker cobbler.)

Pour the batter into the baking dish. 

Arrange the pear slices on top and sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar.


Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until golden and bubbly. If you desire, sprinkle an additional teaspoon of sugar over the cobbler 10 minutes before it’s done.

Adapted from The Pioneer Woman

Please click on this "Sweets for a Saturday" picture.  It's a link to Sweet as a Sugar Cookie blog.  The author, Lisa, invited me to participate in her Sweets for a Saturday post, where bloggers all over blog-land submit the sweets they've baked during the week.  Get ready to drool! 


1 comments:

Lisa said...

That is a beautiful cobbler. I love that it can be interchanged with other fruits as well. I guess it must have been really good to have disappeared so quickly. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cobbler up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com