Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Chicken, Celery and Stuffing Casserole


Last night was "one of those nights."

I didn't get home until 5:30.

Everyone was hungry and starting to have meltdowns.

And I didn't have anything planned for supper.

I quickly scanned the fridge and pantry, clicked my heels with glee, and came up with this hodge-podge recipe.  

It was great!  I hope you can try it soon!

P.S. And I'm cupping my hand to my ear, hoping to hear the accolades rising from the fact that I only used 7 ingredients!  Limiting myself to a few ingredients is a real challenge, but I know not everyone likes to be a mad scientist in the kitchen like I do, adding a dash of this and a pinch of that.  So this one's just for you, girls.  You know who you are!


Chicken, Celery, and Stuffing Casserole
Serves 4-5

2 tablespoons olive oil
3 celery stalks, chopped
1 cup chicken stock
3 cups Cubed "Herb Seasoned" Pepperidge Farm Stuffing (substitute any stuffing mix)
1 10.5-ounce can fat free cream of mushroom soup
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Grease an 8x8-inch baking dish.

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil.  Saute the chopped celery for 6-7 minutes (I wanted mine to retain some of its crunchiness.  If you want it to be softer, saute it longer.)

Add in the stock and bring to a simmer.

Add the stuffing, stirring occasionally, until it begins to soften (5-6 minutes). 

Add in the soup and chicken.  Stir well.

Turn out into the prepared baking dish. 

Sprinkle top with cheese.

Bake for 20 minutes, until hot and bubbly.

Serving suggestion:  steamed green beans, garlic bread, and a spinach salad. 

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Caneel said...

Hodge-podge, thrown-together recipes are often some of the best creations - and this looks delicious! :)

Cathy M~(checkitoff) said...

This looks so yummy Ginny! and I can't wait to try the salad below. You blog looks fab! I haven't been around blog world for a few weeks so I was eager to see what you have been up to!! i am drooling form your pics & recipes! hugs, cathy

Anne C said...

I made this tonight and it was fabulous! I added onions to the saute and topped it with Ritz crackers. Our family will definitely have it again. Thanks!

Windy said...

LOVE YOU!!! SOOOO tired tonight, but you wouldn't know it from this little masterpiece I was able to throw together. Added 1/2 cup onions that I sautéed with the celery and a handful of dried cranberries (always have them on hand for my salads). Didn't have Monterey Jack, so I used Swiss (thinking of Cordon Bleu, I guess). It was perfection!!! And now, I can "wine" down and get a good night's sleep. Happy family(thumbs up all around), happy me! THANK YOU!