Friday, April 8, 2011

Apple-Carrot Muffins (a.k.a. Juicer Muffins)

This morning, I lugged the juicer out from the under the counter.

I juiced some oranges (I am grinning at those of you going, "Helllllllo!  Tropicana!  It's near the dairy section at the supermarket..."), and some carrots, celery, and apples. 

Carrot-celery-apple juice is my favorite.  It is delicious and so crazy good for you.  (The trick is to drink it VERY cold.)

And the oranges?  Well, a friend gave me several pounds of organic oranges and we couldn't eat them fast enough before they began to don a green, moldy coat.  So I juiced them.

When using a juicer, the actual juice goes one way, and the pulp goes the other.  The orange pulp was looking quite delicious, and I decided to save it and develop an orange cake recipe.  And the apple-celery-carrot pulp?  I couldn't throw it away, either. 

I sat down, scratched my head, and came up with this recipe. 

(If you don't have a juicer, you can just shred some apples and carrots and really mash up some oranges and you'll be in good shape to make these muffins.)

I realize this photo looks a bit like....well...the exodus of refuse? 
So sorry.

Doh!  Now we can't stop thinking about it.

Let's try to move on with our 5th-grade-health-class-maturity minds...


Next up:  apples.
(I slice and core the apples before I juice them.)

 It's like insta-applesauce! 

 Carrots.  Seriously.  How healthy does that look?


 Here's the juice.
(From left:  apple, carrot, orange, and celery.)
It looks like a color palate for 1970s kitchen appliances.


Mix together dry ingredients and whisk to combine.

Whisk the wet ingredients together.

And mix them with the dry.


Now add in the pulp
(or the shredded apples and carrots and mashed orange
if you don't have a juicer.)

 Fill muffin tins,
and bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes.

Mmmmmm.
Full of goodness.
And so of course you must slather them with butter.
Lots of it.

Enjoy this!

Apple-Carrot Muffins (Juicer Muffins)
Makes 18 regular muffins

2 eggs
3/4 cup grapeseed oil (or substitute canola)
1/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup packed-brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
4 tablespoons milled flax seed (optional)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup mashed orange pulp
2 cups carrot pulp (or shredded carrots)
1 cup apple pulp (or shredded apples)
3/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
1/2 cup golden raisins (optional)
1/2 shredded coconut (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease muffin tins.

In a large bowl, beat eggs, oil, milk, and vanilla with a wire whisk until well blended. 

Add flour, brown sugar, baking soda, flax seed, cinnamon and salt.  Stir just until moistened and blended.  (Don't overmix!)

Add in orange pulp, carrot and apple pulps, and pecans, raisins, and coconut (if using).  Mix well.

Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full.  Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.

Eat with a smile and enjoy being R-E-G-U-L-A-R for a few days :)

Adapted from a Gold Medal Organic All-Purpose Flour recipe

2 comments:

Caneel said...

Oh Ginny. I don't know where to begin with this post. First off, YUUMM. These look amazing! :)

Secondly, I can't stop laughing at your comment and first photo.

And thirdly, seriously? In a magazine? You can fill me in on details later, and I hope you seek compensation. Great. I've been debating on whether to copyright my images (not that mine are even half as good as yours, so why would anyone want to use them?) but I guess I need to bite the bullet and design something and start putting it on there.

Love the muffins!

Unknown said...

What magazine??? I'm dead curious.
and yes.. that does look like the kitchen I grew up in! :)