Sunday, April 24, 2011

Squash and Spinach Casserole


Y'all. 

This is GOOD.

A storm system has planted itself over us here in the Ozarks of Arkansas.  We've received a flood-causing number of inches since Friday night.  The days are dark.  I had to set the ISO on my camera at approximately 9 jillion.  So please excuse the grainy photos.

I started in on this recipe and then decided to blog about it.  So, before you can get to my photo steps...

You'll want to dice up an onion. 

Then, slice two yellow squash in half lengthwise.  Then, cut each half...in half.  (Quarter the squash).  Then, cut the squash crosswise into half-inch slices. 

Confused yet?  Good!  :)

Thaw some frozen spinach.  SQUEEZE it as dry as you can.

Saute the onion in some olive oil until soft.  Toss in the squash, spinach, and seasonings. 

You'll end up with something like this...


Add some prepared cornbread,

mix it all up.

Then stir in a can of Cream of Mushroom soup.

Next, mix in a cup of shredded cheese.
(This is Monterey Jack.  You can use your favorite type.)

Spread it in a greased baking dish,
top with a 1/2 cup of shredded Monterey Jack cheese
AND
a 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese.


Bake it at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, until the cheese is yummy and brown.

Open up and say "aaaaaahh!"


Squash and Spinach Casserole
Serves 4-6

1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 yellow squash, quartered lengthwise and chopped into 1/2" slices
1 10 oz. box of frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 8.5 ounce box of Jiffy cornbread mixed, prepared and crumbled
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 10.75 ounce can Cream of Mushroom soup (or Cream of Celery)
1 and 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Saute onion in olive oil until soft, about 10 minutes.  Add squash and spinach and cook until over medium heat until squash is soft, about another 10 minutes. 

Add salt and pepper.

Add in the crumbled cornbread and mix well.

Add in the can of soup.

Mix in 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese.

Spread in greased 8x8 baking dish.

Top with 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese followed by the mozzarella cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, or until cheese is well browned.

-----------------------------
Linking up at...







11 comments:

A Few Pennies said...

Yum! I copied your recipe and will try this on my husband very soon! Have a great week. Patty

Debbiedoos said...

Hi Ginny! Thanks for sharing your delish recipe with my newbie party.

Kim said...

Holy Cow that looks freakin' amazing! I have got to go grab a pen and write this down before I forget...wait, what was I looking for???
Happy to be your newest follower. Stop by for a visit sometime!
xoxo,
Kim

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Hi Ginny...you are right below me at Debbie's. This looks incredibly delicious! I am always looking for a good veggie recipe that easily feeds a crowd. This is perfect. I'm following you now...pop over to my blog for a visit if you have time. ~Ann

Caneel said...

Oh. Yum. I WILL be trying this one!

Kari said...

Ginny - I've been following your yummy blog for a bit and I wanted to let you know how much I love your recipes and the pictures to go along with them! I've showcased your blog over at my blog:
karicorsi.blogspot.com
Check it out and grab a button if you'd like! :) I hope you're having a great week!

Heather S Thompson said...

wow. this looks sooo good. wish i could have some. love your new styling shots :)

arkie said...

Hello! Just found your blog from a link on The Adventures of One Crazy Lady. Wonderful blog!

Heidi said...

Yum ~ my kids would even eat this! I could see adding some crumbled bacon (that would assure they'd eat it!) Anything with cheese and bacon.
I agree with the other commenters ~ your photos are sweet, and I learned something, 'cuz I started looking for the ISO on my camera to turn it up~
Thanks twice!
:)Heidi

charlotte's menagerie said...

I really enjoying cooking this last night. I used fresh spinach and it worked well. A great way to get a husband who will not eat a salad to eat green leaves! Thanks. It tasted great!

Stacey said...

That sounds wonderful!