Sunday, July 3, 2011

Fig, Ricotta, and Honey Tartine


You may ask, "What's a tartine?"

And I shall answer, "A French open-faced sandwich."

And then I will tell you a story of when I was in New York City.  And it was a cold, rainy winter's day.  And taxi cab exhaust was coating my skin.  And I was hungry.  And weary of the honking and fire truck sirens and yelling cabbies.  And I stumbled into my favorite cafe in the city:  La Pain De Quotidien.  And I looked at the menu and saw the Fig, Ricotta, and Acacia Honey Tartine, and the root of my romance with food darted a little further into my heart.  

La Pain's tartine was incredible and of course their bread base was fresh and organic.  And it was a true tartine.  Mine is just a jealous American impersonation of French/Belgium perfection.  But here it is, as best as I can recall from that fateful December day.  

I used flatbread.  And generously spread it with ricotta cheese.  

Quarter a few fresh figs.  
(Use dried figs if you can't find fresh....scroll down for a little plumping trick.)

Dot with arugula (or fresh spinach).

Bejewel with the figs.

 Bedazzle with honey.

Behold.  Fantastique.

Aaaawwwww, ha, HA! 
 (throatily pronounced with an enthusiastic French accent).

Want to add some protein?
How about prosciutto? 
(prəˈSHo͞otō):  An incredible Italian dried ham that is sliced see-through thin.

You can wrap it around the quartered figs. 

And randomly toss it around the tartine.

(Here's what I used for my tartine base....
made by the same company famous for their pita pockets.)

A perfect appetizer.

Or light summer supper.

The pepper and the honey vie for first place on your tongue.  

It's an incredibly pleasurable, unmistakably French feeling.

Use a slice of bread as the base if you have to.  

Just MAKE this.

You shan't regret it.


Fig, Ricotta, and Honey Tartine
Makes 2 Tartines

2 pieces of flatbread
2-3 teaspoons ricotta cheese (or substitute mascarpone)
6-7 arugula leaves (or substitute fresh spinach)
4 fresh or dried* figs, quartered
2-3 teaspoons honey
2 slices of prosciutto, cut into thin strips
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Spread a 6-inch piece of flatbread (or a circular slice of bread) with the ricotta cheese.  Add the arugula leaves.  Toss on the quartered figs, drizzle with honey, and sprinkle with freshly-ground black pepper.  

Slice into 6 pieces.  Serve as appetizers or serve one tartine per guest. 

Alternatives:
Wrap the quartered figs with prosciutto.
Drizzle lightly with balsamic vinegar, in addition to the honey.


*To plump dried figs:  place figs in a small saucepan.  Cover half-way with water.  Simmer for 5-6 minutes until plump.  Dry with paper towel, quarter, and proceed with recipe.



Linking up at:

Debbie Doos Newbie Party




7 comments:

laxsupermom said...

This sounds wonderful! What fun flavor combinations! Thanks for sharing.

Debbiedoos said...

Hi Ginny, as always I can expect something mouth watering from you. Thanks for sharing.

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

This is new to me and sounds like heaven! I'm follower #97. :)

Gypsy Heart said...

Hi,
I'm over from Debbiedoo's and so glad to find your blog! This dish looks delish and a perfect summer appetizer. I'm a new follower and look forward to getting to know you.

Stop by and say hi when you can. Have a happy 4th!

Pat

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Oh this looks and sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing the recipe because I look so forward to making some of these.

Caneel said...

Love the story - and the photos! Oh. My. Yummm!

Camilla M. Mann said...

Delicious! I can't wait to try this. Visiting from Sweets for a Saturday.