Sunday, January 8, 2012

Writer's Block (and Wilted Spinach Salad with Purple Cabbage)

If we were still in the typewriter age, I would be sitting amidst piles of crumpled-up paper.  I've started four equally bland posts today; it seems I'm having trouble funneling my thoughts into cohesive sentences that are interesting enough for another human being to read.  

If my forehead had a hinge, someone could unclasp my eyebrows, lift up the top half of my head, and peer into a deep, dark vat of emptiness.  This case of writer's block makes me glad I don't have to write for a living.  How do you writers out there (on deadlines) come up with new material...weekly or even daily?  Under the pressure of a writing deadline, I would act in a similar fashion to how I respond when someone asks me a math question for which I'm unprepared mentally (it doesn't take much) and I stand there repeating to myself, "I should be thinking about the answer, I should be thinking about the answer..." as the valuable seconds tick by and the inquirer begins to give me a quizzical look that says, "And you're going to home-school your kids?  Awesome...."

I would be a very hungry professional writer.

Speaking of being hungry....

While I haven't been cooking much lately, I did make this pretty salad...


Then I added an egg on top and dressed it with balsamic vinegar...
(If the egg makes you want to wretch, please imagine it isn't there.  K?  K.)

Here's how I did it.

Have you seen these sweet mini bell peppers in your grocery store? 

I sliced three of them (certainly you can substitute regular sweet peppers),

and sauteed them in olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes.

Then I tossed in a few handfuls of fresh spinach. 

It began to wilt...

At this point I added a pinch of sea salt and pepper...

And transferred it to a plate.

While the skillet was still hot, I drizzled in a bit more olive oil and began to fry an egg.

Then I peeled the outer leaves from this pretty purple cabbage,

sliced it,

and chopped it.

 I sprinkled the chopped cabbage on top of the wilted spinach mixture.

And topped with my sunny-side-up.

I drizzled the egg with balsamic vinegar, and enjoyed every last morsel.

Perfect for lunch or a simple supper.

And the colors are pretty enough to maybe, MAYBE, remedy a bad case of writer's block...

I'll soon find out.

4 comments:

Rita said...

You know what is happening?... it's January; what a blah long month.
Your salad makes it so much tastier; we love adding a egg to our salads too.
Rita

Cathy M~(checkitoff) said...

Ginny, even though I haven't commented lately, I still refer to your blog for great recipes!! This looks amazing and so simple. yummmy! I think you are an amazing woman (even with writers block and metal math challenges!). Keep up the awesome "work"!! hugs, cathy

Cathy M~(checkitoff) said...

that was supposed to be mental math! my typing skills are not up to par!! cathy

Caneel said...

This salad looks delicious! As for writer's block, deadlines always improve it for me. If I'm on a deadline, I can churn the stuff out way better. Also if I'm on assignment, that's easier than coming up with a ton of my own ideas. That's always waaaay harder for me. :)