Friday, February 22, 2013

Double Chocolate Coffee "Creamer" (It's "Skinny" and Vegan)

This girl loves her coffee.

At one time, I had every "International Delights"  flavor in my refrigerator door. 

But when I decided to cut processed foods and chemicals from my diet, those things were the first to go.

Organic/homemade coffee creamers have been flooding the internet.  

So I decided to throw my little hat in the ring, too!

But I wanted my version to be dairy free and "skinny", since I am on a mission to rock wear a swimsuit this summer.

Introducing my Double Chocolate "Creamer".  It's "skinny" (approximately 40 calories per 1/4 cup), and it's vegan (made from almond and coconut milks).  

While it won't lighten up the color of your coffee the way a traditional milk-based creamer will, if you can get past that mental hurdle, I think you'll really enjoy this stuff.  I suggest starting with ratio of 6 ounces of coffee to 1/4 cup of creamer.  (You could always add extra coconut milk or splurge and add heavy cream.)  

And don't worry---you can't taste the flavor of the maple syrup at all.


Double Chocolate Coffee "Creamer" (It's "Skinny" and Vegan)
Makes a little over 2 cups

1 cup coconut milk (I used Silk PureCoconut)
1 cup dark chocolate almond milk (I used Silk PureAlmond Dark Chocolate)
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (NOT pancake syrup)

In a saucepan set over medium heat, whisk together all ingredients until cocoa powder has been incorporated. 

Transfer to glass jar or container.  Use immediately or store, refrigerated, in a glass jar or other container for up to 7 days.

(For a "peppermint mocha" spin, add 1 teaspoon of pure peppermint extract the saucepan has been removed from the heat source.)


P.S. - While I realize that the coconut and almond milks can be considered "processed", I'm choosing to not be nit-picky about that little fact.  :)

This recipe was my inspiration:  I just swapped out the milks to make mine vegan.

0 comments: