Thursday, February 7, 2013

Health(ier) Chocolate Bombs

As I'm transferring the slightly soured laundry from the washer to the dryer, I feel it's dark, silky smooth tentacles wrap around my mind. 

The Chocolate Monster.  It's here for me.  

Like a robot, I move to the kitchen, stepping over Legos and soccer balls and that piece of muffin that fell off the table during breakfast over which I've been stepping for 6 hours. 

I rip the food processor from beneath the cabinet, plugging it in the instant I have the cord in my hand.  Maniacally tearing through the pantry, I toss a bag of walnuts, a partially-eaten bag of dates, cocoa powder, salt and vanilla on the counter.  "Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate," my Monster chants.

"MOMMMMMYYYYYYYYYYY!", yells a child from the hallway at 110 decibels.  "Please come help me find my sword and my cape!!"

"MOMMMMMMYYYYYY!!" comes a second shriek from the bathroom.  "I'M DONE!  CAN YOU COME WIPE MY BOTTOM?"

I really love being a mom.  But seriously.  I need a moment here.


And that's the great thing about these little chocolate powerhouses.  They only take a moment to make.  And as I pop them into my mouth, I feel my Mommy Muscles growing big and strong, just like Popeye's as he downs his can of spinach.  

I've eaten four.  I can do hard things now.  Like search for capes and swords and wipe bottoms.

I hope you make these little bombs soon.  It's kind of fun to quell "the monster" with something that isn't horrifically bad for us.  

Printable Recipe

Health(ier) Chocolate Bombs
Makes 15-16 tablespoon-sized balls

1 c walnuts
1 and 1/3 cups pitted dates
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons cocoa powder

Toss all the ingredients into a food processor.  Using the steel blade, process the ingredients until they begin to look moist and slightly stick together.  Roll into little balls (I used a tablespoon; use any size you please).  Or you can shape the dough into bars, if desired. 


Recipe from:  Chocolate Covered Katie

3 comments:

Heather said...

i really need a food processor! :(

Ginny said...

Oh yes you do, dear.

You know, I was so desperate to make these today that I would have put everything in a plastic bag and driven back and forth over it with my car in order to pulverize it.

xoxo,
G

Kathi said...

these look great for chocolate emergencies and you reminded me that I need dates ! thanks Ginny