Monday, February 7, 2011

Braised Chicken with Oranges and Pistachios & Newbie Blog "Party"


This one is a keeper.

The fruity citrus notes are a perfect companion to the juicy, tender chicken, the flavorful green onions, and the crunchy pistachios.

Braising chicken is a process in which the meat is initially cooked on the stovetop to brown and lock in the juices, and then completed in the oven.

Use a large cast-iron skillet or a dutch oven to make all your braised chicken dreams come true.


Braised Chicken with Oranges and Pistachios
Serves 3-4*

1 pound chicken (I used a mixture of drumsticks and skinless, boneless thighs; breasts would work fine, too)
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
6 green onions, roots removed and white section sliced in half
1/3 cup dry white wine
1 medium orange, zested and juiced
1/3 cup additional orange juice
30 pistachios (a generous handful)
Additional orange zest for garnish, if desired

Rinse chicken and pat dry.  In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt and pepper.  Add chicken and toss to coat well.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Using a large cast-iron skillet or a dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium high heat.  (Carefully sprinkle a few drops of water in the hot oil.  If it sizzles, the oil is hot enough.) 

Add the chicken (don't crowd the pan; you may have to do it in two batches), and let it brown well on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. 

Add the pat of butter. 

Then add the green onions to the skillet, stirring well to coat in the oil/butter.  Cook for 2-3 minutes over medium heat. 

Increase heat to medium-high and add the wine, using a wooden spoon to scrape up the flavorful brown bits on the bottom of the skillet.  (This is called "deglazing the pan.") 

Remove skillet from heat. 

Zest the orange over the skillet, cut the orange in half, and squeeze out the juice.  Stir well, ensuring the chicken and green onions are coated in the zest and juice.

Transfer skillet (or dutch oven) to the oven.  Bake until chicken is cooked through, 15-20 minutes.  Add the additional orange juice at the 10-minute mark to keep the green onions from charring too much.

Remove skillet from oven (carefully!  Remember--the handle will be very hot.). 

Stir in the pistachios to coat. 

Serve, garnishing chicken with additional zest if desired.

Just a suggestion:  accompany the entree with steamed broccoli and brown rice.
----------

*The next time I make this, I will use a whole quartered chicken (about 3-4 pounds) and bump up the amounts of each ingredient a little to compensate.  It was so delicious that everyone was asking for more, a rare occurrence in my house of picky child eaters.

-------------------------------

A blogging friend, Cathy at over at checkitoff, told me about this "Newbie Party" at Debbiedoo's.   I joined the par-tay!  Click on this link to see what it's all about...

Thanks for hosting, Ms. Debbie!

5 comments:

Caneel said...

How delicious!!! I love pistachios! :)

Melanie said...

Oh my gosh...this looks so good! I will definitely be trying it soon! I found you through Debbiedoo's.

Melanie
You can check me out at youmadethat.blogspot.com

Debbiedoos said...

Oh my gosh I am so hungry right now, my mouth is watering with delight. Thanks for joining in...
Please add yourself on my friends list too. XO
hope to see you next week, this is a weekly party.

Mamarazzi said...

THIS looks YUMMY. oranges, chicken and pistachios OH MY! super yum! i have this bookmarked and i will be making it!!


I am hopping around through the newbie hop to welcome everyone to blogging. I love making new bloggy friends and i especially love helping new blogger grow their following.

Stop by my blog when you have a chance. There are so many FUN things happening over on Dandelion Wishes!!!
We are .....
*Taking Back Monday, one Etsy giveaway at a time. Come enter to win something awesome EVERY Monday!
*Airing our dirty little secrets with Friday Confessional. Confess, link up, feel better...I promise!
*Keeping it positive every weekend with My Happy List. What's on YOUR Happy List this week? Post and link up...it’s a party y'all!
*And there are crowning’s happening for Queen for the Day...finally, the royal recognition you deserve.

Cathy M~(checkitoff) said...

Ginny, this meal looks heavenly!! I am putting it on my to do list! Thanks for mentioning me & I am glad you went to the "party"!! hope your weather improves soon! hugs, cathy