Thursday, June 23, 2011

Bittersweet Chocolate Drops (and Great Neighbor Kids)


These encompass all the best characteristics of brownies.

But they are bite-sized cookies.

Each one has a perfect crispy-chewy outside and a rich, chocolatey center.

I'm smitten. 

Six ingredients, a saucepan, a spoon, parchment paper, a baking sheet, and an oven.

That's all you need.

Oh yeah, plus a propensity to lose all control of yourself around chocolate.



Bittersweet Chocolate Drops
Makes about 24 cookies

4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Coat a large baking sheet with non-stick oil spray.  (I used parchment paper.)  In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, stir the chocolate and butter until both are nearly melted.  Remove from the heat.  Blend in the sugar.  Working quickly to prevent curdling, whisk in the egg.  Then stir in the flour and baking powder to make a stiff dough.

Drop round tablespoonfuls of dough about 1 1/2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.  (Or use a teaspoon for bite-sized cookies; reduce cooking time to 6-7 minutes.)  Bake until the cookies are set and the tops are crackly, 8 to 10 minutes.  Let cool on the baking sheet for about 2 minutes, then transfer to rack.  Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.  

The cookies can be stored, tightly covered, for up to 5 days or frozen for a month. 

From:  Short and Sweet:  Sophisticated Desserts in 30 Minutes or Less
----------------------


I will say, I had ENORMOUS help while I was making these cookies.  The best neighbor kids in the world were over here playing with my boys.  About five rounds of hide-and-go-seek took place while I was mixing and baking.   Tanner (13) spent a long time building an awesome race car track out of blocks and then was good-natured about the whole thing when Matthew (2), a.k.a Godzilla, knocked it down.

Abby helped me make the cookies by pouring in the flour/baking powder mixture into the chocolate while I photographed.  



Chris and I are incredibly blessed by the neighbors on our street and are so grateful that these awesome kids play with our children, despite the giant age gaps. 


Here are some of the neighbor kids.  Photo taken early this spring.  

And yes, all of the Cory's and Abby's do get confusing.  :) 

Please excuse me while I gush, but I really love my husband.  He is one of those dads who genuinely enjoys playing with the kids.  Children from all around come over and ask, "Is Chris home?"

It blesses me to no end.


Linking up at Somewhat Simple 
Cast Party Wednesday

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

These look awesome! I would love it if you came over and linked up to Cast Party Wednesday. I have a great collection of recipes going and yours would be a PERFECT addition! http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com
Thanks,
I hope to see you there!